Monday, December 3, 2007

Last week end my dad and I went to St. George for another bike ride.  This ride was to be a 126 mile or 200 kilometer brevet.  We started just after 7:00 am in St. George from the south end of town on the bike path.  The temp was about 45 degrees and it was scheduled to rain.  The first 62 miles were great.  We only had a little rain and it was plenty warm,  thats when it all changed.  Suddenly the wind picked up and the fatigue set in.  I have never experienced a head wind like we did on this ride.  There was a 20 or so mile stretch with a slight decline, we should have been averaging at least 23 mph but with the head wind we were lucky to break 10 mph.  At mile 100 I was ready to give up, but the problem was that the car was still 25 miles away and unfortunately it does not drive its self.  After weighing the options of either suicide by hanging or suicide by biking I chose the bike (note this is only because I didn't have any rope).  We finished at about 8:00 pm and I was pooped, this was truly a tough ride but a good one to remember.

No comments: